Greed and Lost Beauty

The following are two fables: 

The Tale of the Blue Hummingbird and the Squirrel

Not too long ago, a blue hummingbird flapped its wings swiftly, moving from one flower to another. It was cautious to its surroundings and hardly blinked an eye. The bird had been trying to find a flower full of nectar to eat, but he found it very difficult. It had finally been worth it at the end, as eventually, the hummingbird was able to find an entire field of flowers filled with overflowing nectar from each plant. Its long beak watered, in hopes to finally feed on something that had been long-awaited. The bird darted quickly to the closest flower towards him, savouring every last bit of nectar. He did this quickly in hopes that the other animals would not see the large supply. 

Hopes were sadly diminished, as a squirrel from the neighbouring trees swung itself forwards towards the flowers, and he too was excited to consume it. Of course, the blue hummingbird was worried and made his way towards the squirrel.

“Have you come to eat on some nectar?”, asked the blue hummingbird.

“Of course!”, said the squirrel,” this would be too good of an opportunity to pass, especially with so much nectar lying around in this field.”

It was in the hummingbird’s best interest to lie about the nectar, and he told the squirrel that he was reserving the nectar for the bees, so they could make honey. The squirrel understood and left the area full of flowers, but a few moments later came back. 

The squirrel had come with the news: “I came to inform you that I was watching you all along from the top of that tree over their”, the squirrel points to a nut tree from afar,” I have come to understand that you did not save this nectar for others, but rather for yourself”. 

Moral: “Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs, but not every man’s greed.”- Mahatma Gandhi

The Tale of the Girl and the Dove

Years ago, there had been a young girl living in a whimsical cottage deep in the forest. She had no one to play with or to talk to. Her parents were in and out of her life; they were always out doing labour during the day. Because she had no one to communicate with, her thoughts were always cycling around her head, especially of how she rarely felt any beauty within herself. Her eyes would often glisten, and she could never tell anyone what was wrong. 

During the day she always felt depressed and lonely; isolated in her own bubble of thoughts, but as the sun began to set, she was more lively and happier because she knew that in the dark, she did not have to look at herself and all her imperfections. 

Not long after, she began to dream of a perfect world, where she had friends and family, and when she had finally seen the beauty in herself.

Late in the evening, before her parents arrived, she found a dove sitting by the corner of her window sill. The dove listed out all her hopes and dreams and silently flew away in the darkness. 

The following day, in mid daylight, the girl had finally felt a sense of true happiness.

Moral: “Your happily ever after might not look like one right away”- Beauty and the Beast

Featured Image Source: http://thomaskinkadesalado.com/thomaskinkade/

6 thoughts on “Greed and Lost Beauty

1. Dear Mariam,
    These two pieces of writing were magnificent to read! I couldn’t find a single thing I disliked about them. Both pieces were both so eloquently done and I loved reading them! Thank you so much for this chance to read your literature, keep up the great work!

From,
    Annika

• Dear Annika,

I want to thank you for reading my piece, and I am extremely glad that you enjoyed it!

Sincerely,
      Mariam

2. Dear Mariam,

Thank you for writing this piece and sharing it on your blog. I especially liked the second tale. I relate very much with how the girl finds happiness in the pursuit of her hopes and dreams. Because I oftentimes find myself happier during the pursuit of a goal than the actual result itself. Perhaps this is because to pursue, one must first believe.

I want to commend you on your ability to create a tangible world with such little words. I was able to envision this story in my mind, and that is equivalent to a sincere gift.

I hope you continue to write. When you do, please let me know – I’d love to read more of your work!

Sincerely,

Dai M

3. Dear Mariam,
    I thoroughly enjoyed these short but sweet fables that you wrote. I found that your use of imagery and personification helped add elements of joy and enticement to this piece that kept me reading on. I liked the first fable the best, with the bluebird seeking to have the whole field of nectar for himself. I found its morals were true to modern-day society with the increasing potential to exploit the lands for greed and power. More people should read these fables to become educated on the morals you presented.
    My only gripe with this piece was in the second piece you stated: “she was more lively and happier”, I would consider using a different adjective other than “happier” such as “content” as it flows better given the context. Your choice though.
    Other than that, really good work here Mariam. I’m happy to see how much you’ve grown in your three years of Creative Writing and I wish you godspeed on your future writing endeavors.
    -Jimmy

• Dear Jimmy,

Thank you for taking the time to read my piece! I will make sure to include your suggestions in future blog posts.

Sincerely,
      Mariam