February 2019

Ratings:

Do not recommend -★☆☆☆☆

Okay -★★☆☆☆

Incredible -★★★☆☆

Life changing -★★★★☆

Will read over and over again -★★★★★

February 1 – February 28

An Abundance of Katherines- John Green

Number of pages: 123

Rating: ★★★☆☆

Although I have not fully finished this book, overall An Abundance of Katherines has allowed me to experience the life of no other. I enjoyed reading the life of Colin Singleton as he does not go through life like any other ordinary teenager, instead he lives the life of washed up child prodigy. So far, as I read through this book I have learned a lot of new things along the way that a prodigy would have understood; such as a lot of history, different kind of books,  several languages, and so on. Although Colin went through a lot of mix emotions within advancing his life choices (becoming a prodigy into a well know genius), he is able to progress gradually through the novel and allows his life goals to finally occur at the end of the novel. Besides the skills he possesses, throughout his life he dates and gets dumped by a number of nineteen Katherines. He uses these experiences and interprates them together to form a theorem that will help any person who dates and gets dumped by another person. This book is unique in a different way because I have never read something alike or similar like this before.

The reasons for giving this book three stars was because although I liked the plot of the story, and enjoyed reading the life of Colin and his experiences as a child prodigy, dating of the nineteen Katherines, and constructing the theorem, so far, the story is not really getting anywhere in terms of the exposition or a conflict and I am already halfway towards finishing the book.

The Alchemist- Paulo Coelho

Number of pages: 163

Rating: ★★★★☆

The Alchemist was and incredible and heartfelt book that has allowed me to follow along the adventures of  Santiago, a young shepherd boy, in search of seeking treasure through the message of his dream. He sought for help through a gypsy woman, a glass merchant, and an alchemists who have all taught him the meaning of life to find his treasure. This book has taught me many lessons of how I should follow my dreams by listening to my heart or else I may regret later on in life. It has allowed me to think about taking risks, and going for it rather than holding back because the messages of finding what you are looking for in life appear right around the corner. While Santiago does these things throughout the novel, he not only develops knowledge and gains a large amount of mentors and friends, he realizes anything is possible even though it takes the time and effort.

The reasons for giving this book four stars is because it has taught me many lessons about life that I have never really thought about before. As I read this book I sensed a lot of emotions of fear and pity towards Santiago in belief that he would never find his treasure. This book has taught me not to fear of danger and to get around from it to learn that life is too short not to take any risk.

Reading Rate:

10 pages/day

Reflection

Although I try my best to read a book fast and effective to build on my knowledge, I quickly begin to lose concentration after a few pages of reading. This occurs since I haven’t been an active reader before February began. I know I will continue to grow as a reader as I have now seen this reading rate it has allowed me to look at what I need to improve on, and I gradually continue to read more pages. My goal for next month is to have a reading rate of preferably about fifteen pages per day.