April 2020

Did not spark any enjoyment-★☆☆☆☆

Okay-★★☆☆☆

Entertaining-★★★☆☆

Incredible-★★★★☆

Life-Changing-★★★★★

Reflection

I am not as impressed with my reading rate as I was last month. I knew as a reader that I need to read a lot more books, especially because I am now in quarantine and also I was expecting a higher reading rate because of last month’s progress. I was only able to read about two books which were not difficult to read. I am also not yet finished reading either of the books. Next month I am determined to pick up at least one regular novel, a play, and possibly a non-fiction novel. I’ve been hoping to read an Agatha Christie piece for a while now so I hope I find one to read for next month.

The Books that I have Read

The Curious the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon(200 0f 239 pages)

The Heroe’s Walk by Anita Rau Badami (150 of 352 pages)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: Amazon.ca ...The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Christopher Bloom, the main character of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and the boy who solves the crime of who might have stabbed his neighbour’s fog with a fork. Christopher is young and curious, taking the time to write the story of the mystery he is solving. He questions the people who are close to him and he comes to realize the secrets of his dad and why he came to kill their neighbour’s dog. On this day he finds letters from his mother that his father has also been trying to hide for so many years now. Christopher now only feels betrayal and he escapes his father. Currently, Christopher is asking for directions to London, where his mother lives. This is while his father is out looking for him. My favourite part of this novel so far is when Christopher’s father finds his notebook, where he has been writing his story. It makes me feel undoubtful of how Christopher may continue to write in his novel, or if he may go further into it.

I rate this novel, so far, at an ‘entertaining’ it is truly interesting to follow along Christopher’s journey and really understanding his perspective. It has allowed me to read more an more pages even when I need a break to up-down the book. I also enjoy the lessons he gives us.

The Hero's Walk: A Novel: Amazon.ca: Badami, Anita Rau: Books

The Hero’s Walk

The Hero’s Walk is an interesting novel that has allowed me to understand different perspectives and cultures. It is something somewhat different to books that I have rea din the past, but it does kind of remind me of a Khaled Hosseini novel, which I love! I enjoy reading the life of an Indian family. They struggle economically, but they have been able to make ends meet when it comes to finances. Their life crumbles to pieces when they find that their daughter, Maya, is dead in a car accident in Canada. Sripathi, her father hasn’t been talking to her for years because of her decision to marry someone from a foreign country. Sripathi blames his death on everyone and especially himself. They also have to pick up Maya’s daughter, Nandana from the airport. Nandana is unaware that her parents have died and she wanders every day when they are going to pick her and bring her back up to Canada. Nandana chooses not to speak to anyone and always finds a way to escape her new home. My favourite part of the novel so far is when Sripathi brings home Nandana. It brings in that sense of excitement for someone who has not really experienced much of a new place only because she has not really lived her life yet.

Right now I am rating this book at an ‘okay’, I find this book interesting, but I’m still waiting o some more action to occur before I rate it any higher. I loved reading parts of its imagery and being able to imagine a place that is not yet familiar to me yet.